Sunday 29 June 2014

Yewande Adekoya: I almost gave up acting


Yewande Adekoya recently emerged as the Best New Actress at the City People Entertainment Awards. She has Featured and produced several movies including Igbo dudu, Omo Elemosho, Kudi Kelpto, Emere ...
Here is an interview she granted ThisdayLive on her career, family and sundry issues

Emerging Best New Actress….
I feel great and honoured to be named as the best new female actress at the recently held city people entertainment awards. I think the award is an affirmation that I’m doing the right thing and I am on the right path in my career, because when you start getting recognition for what you do, it means you are really good at it. So, all I need to do now is to put more effort so that I can offer my fans more of me. I’m happy generally because the five nominations I got for my movie, Omo Elemosho from AMAA awards 2014 is more or less like an endorsement for me as a film producer while the Best New Actress of the year award given to me by City People is an endorsement for me.

I’m working on an epic movie…
At the moment, I’m working on an epic movie. I’m glad people accepted my last movie ‘Kudi Klepto.’ In fact, they loved it and I’m grateful for that. This is why I’m trying my best to give them something better than what they’ve ever seen from me. So help me God. But for now, let’s keep our fingers crossed. I don’t want to let the cat out of the bag just yet. But trust me; it’s going to turn out amazing. Before now, I’ve produced about seven productions of my own which include Life Secret Season 1 and 2; Igbo Dudu, Omo Elemosho, Kudi klepto, Emere and Irawo Meji which I co-produced with my husband.

My journey as an actress...
I started acting in 2002 when I joined the Alfabash Music and Theatre Group. We were majorly into stage performances and although I had been acting and telling stories since I was little, I could say I took a bold step in 2002 to join a theatre group. My very first production was in 2006, titled: ‘Life Secret.’ It was an English movie, which I later converted into a Soap the same year. So, I went ahead to produce the second season in 2007 and it was aired on 22 local stations in 2008, as well as on African Magic in 2010 and 2011 season. Later, a colleague of mine advised me to take up producing in Yoruba, which I gave a shot. So, I produced ‘Igbo Dudu’ and the reception was awesome. So far, I have featured in over 50 movies. At the moment, I’m a full time actress and film producer. But very soon by the special grace of God, I will start a new line of business. Though several times in the past, I had thought of quitting, but if God said ‘it’s your way, you will find yourself still drawn to it no matter the difficulties you might be facing.’

I almost gave up acting….
I’ve had my down times I must confess, financially and socially but I thank God. When he says this is the way, no matter how stormy the journey is, he will surely pull you through. I’m in God’s hands and He has been the one directing my journey and He has been consistent. It has not been easy at all and if I didn’t have a genuine passion for acting, I would have dusted my certificates and walked into a TV or radio station for a job. I have been turned down several times for no particular reason and I almost gave up on acting. But despite the challenges, I kept on going and I thank God that He eventually made a way for me.  Those that once told me to my face that I could never make it as an actress in the movie industry are those that now approach me saying positive things about my talent and I thank God for that.

Fulfillment…
I am just getting started. I have so many dreams and aspirations and God will definitely see me through.

My childhood…
I’m the first out of five siblings and I was born in Lagos State. Growing up was cool for me, because my parents gave us everything we needed and wanted, but they are very principled and I appreciate the way myself and my siblings were brought up.
They empowered us and equipped us well for what we are going to face in the world as adults.

Marriage, family and acting…
God has been good, and my husband is very supportive. He understands the nature of my job. Let me just say God has helped me to find a balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment